mawage

So I've really struggled with the same-sex marriage debate; no argument really held water. I've been thinking, though, and since I have a platform for such thoughts, here they are.

All men/women should be equal before the law in their beliefs. It is in their actions that they are judged, especially when those actions interact with others’ actions. In gay marriage, I think the most vulnerable group is any children adopted by the gay couple. Actually, children are likely to be the most vulnerable group in any type of marriage, but the difference in the gay marriage argument is that in placing children with gay couples, the government is actively allowing a social experiment work out its conclusions on subjects who probably had little input in their participation. Wherever possible, children should be raised by a father and mother figure, because gender does carry essential, God-given roles.  By allowing gay couple adoption, or (to bring other social issues in), single parent adoption, the government is denying the most stable, beneficial home environment for children. Of course that’s true of divorce, too, but I don’t agree with divorce as it is applied either. Nor am I saying that all heterosexual marriages are ideal incubators of child development. What I'm saying is that I don't want the government to force adoption agencies to accept gay adoptive parents, especially if the gay parent environment is against the beliefs of said agencies.

Marriage definition: I have the hardest time with this argument. Call things what you will; that doesn’t change what they are. So I don’t think I care if gay couples say they are married; it doesn’t change my perception, and I don’t know if it changes their perception either. The group who would have a changed perspective is the government and other authoritative institutions, as changing the definition of marriage changes what resources/benefits/whatever-you-want-to-call-it are available to gay couples: insurance policies, will policies, visitation policies at hospitals,  etc. I actually don’t particularly mind if gay couples have these resources.What I care about is the implication of the government needing to intervene. The state has no right to interfere in relationships except for the benefit of vulnerable groups, aka children.Yay for small government.
As a bonus, I found an article that gives the clearest discussion I've heard so far on the definition of marriage and its implications on government and society (yes, really, it's an intelligent discussion): 
There are some points that this guy makes that I don't particularly agree with, but as I said, the clearest argument I've heard so far.
Comments welcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy