Who's your daddy

While I am fairly certain my first word in this life was "NO", I am also fairly certain that my second word was "dada", which most parents--especially of the male variety--take to be a reference to the father.
Since then, I have tried out lots of different names.

Daddy
Dadsy
Papa
Popsicle
Padre
Daddikins
Father
Aged P
Dad

etc.

He has not objected to a single moniker, except when I called him "Steve".
Which happens to be his name.
I think when I asked about why he objected, he said something about proper respect, but I honestly don't see many of my names for him to be particularly distinguished. I have concluded, then. that he wants to be a father-- more particularly, MY father--because he perceives fatherhood as a worthy achievement.
Somewhere buried beneath a lot of cultural abandonment of the importance of fatherhood lies the foundation of the father's role: respected, nurturing, protective, responsible.
We refer to it in praising the founding fathers, in our discussion of patriarchs or in addressing priests (as father).
When we say someone has fathered an idea or movement, we are alluding to the creative role of fathers.
And when we talk of God as our Father, we are linking mortal fathers to the divine.

Of course I am saying this because it's Fathers' Day. But I'm also saying this because it seems many have minimized the influence fathers have on their children.
So in addition to the HeForShe, remember the SheForHe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy