Hey Cistern

When I hear the word "cistern," I wonder why the formal plural of sister is not "sistren" since the formal plural of brother is "brethren."
Truly I could have been a philosopher.

Last week, Mark took me adventuring near Downtown Houston. Mainly, to the cistern.
I have lived in Houston basically my whole life, and I never knew Houston had a cistern.
Turns out once-upon-a-time, the giant one-and-a-half football field tank kept the drinking water for the city. And now it doesn't, which is why we were allowed to go inside it. Otherwise, we would obviously be contaminating Houstonian's drinking water.
The white floating blocks are for artistic purposes that will be explained later
The huge underground space reminded Mark of the Mines of Moria in Lord of the Rings. Meaning, of course, that the place isn't captured well in poor lighting.
Thus, most of my pics from the day trip are not in the cistern. Which, I suppose, is dumb if that's the main attraction, but I just couldn't convey the look of the place with my phone camera.


I don't even have a good video of the cistern. But I have a good video of Mark being cool.
The art installation is a bunch of clips with Magic Eye-type color combos projected onto the white blocks and lab coats of patrons. Kind-of trippy, actually.

I have expressive eyebrows, as long as I draw them on




Our bayou is not very attractive at the moment, unless you think that shade of brown gives enough of a suggestion of hot chocolate.
Mark and I tried to play the game "Stick" on the bridge ["Stick" is when you both pick a stick and drop it into the water at the same time on the upriver side of the bridge, then go to the downriver side of the bridge and see whose stick was faster. We did that on our honeymoon in Yellowstone, too. Totally sophi-stick-ated].
It didn't really work. For one, the water was moving way too slow--almost like it was a chocolate pudding. For two, apparently there's a bottleneck right underneath the bridge (probably created from people playing "stick" with logs. that's my guess) that made a bunch of sticks exit together, so we couldn't pick out which ones were "ours."
The area around the bayou is pretty

I'm gonna end with what the cistern looks like with a cool camera. It is a little reminiscent of M. C. Escher. And of the Mines of Moria, with a balrog approaching in the back left corner.
Don't worry, we escaped. And we didn't lose anyone. Or the ring.
Also, we got in for free. So it was a very successful quest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy