Being Prescient

Have you ever had a feeling that a certain moment in your life will define your family for generations? That your grand++-children will say, wow, that girl (or dude) was tough?
Maybe. Maybe not. It's certainly reminiscent of Sam's thoughts at the end of the second The Lord of the Rings, when he considers that what he and Frodo are doing is going to become legend for future people, relatives and friends and acquaintances and strangers alike.

I am not carrying the One Ring.
In case you were wondering.
Also, I don't think strangers will ever hear about my life. But I have the distinct impression that how I survive these next few years will drastically influence my [currently nonexistent] descendants.
We--my husband and I, as a team--are working through depression and anxiety, new employment and unemployment, loneliness and isolation. We're figuring out a lifestyle that will accommodate the increased cost of rent and groceries and transportation. We're refining a routine that will help sustain our faith and hope. We're pondering how to act and react to an increasingly tense and divisive political scene, how to reach the under-privileged and over-marginalized.
And on and on.
In short, we're trying to live with the setbacks, stressors, unknowns, disappointments, and fears that life so often is filled with.
Nothing particularly out of the ordinary.

And yet, it's going to take extraordinary grit.

But no worries; I like grits.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy