My Ears Are Open

 In the past few weeks, I have volunteered to be a street medic at public gatherings. The main takeaway is profound sadness. I am having a hard time believing the assaults I see happening are in the United States, in the present time. Naïve of me, I suppose. 

As I stood facing thousands of Trump supporters who chanted obscene hatred in unison, threatening violence to those who disagreed, I felt like I was at Helm's Deep in the LOTR...except these people are my countrymen, perhaps even my neighbors. Only a half-dozen people expressed love towards the other side, and only 3 of them sounded sincere. And while I have seen pleas from each side to listen to the other's concerns, no one seems to be following through on that.


Well, there's no person like your own person to change that. Let's get the ball rolling.

I am concerned about

-the effect each person has on the health of another

-the way laws are interpreted and enforced to preferentially benefit one group

-the increasing natural disasters that kill or starve or sicken people all over the world

-the myth that just one side has a monopoly on religion, patriotism, kindness, or sensitivity

-the hesitancy to trust evidence

-the decision to support a party or individual or government control instead of a principle or virtue

-the hate. Oh my gosh, the hate. This is my number-one concern, and my number-one reason to cry for this country.

I hope some of these hopes and worries can find a common ground, or at least be understandable.

And now, reader, it's your turn.


Comments

  1. Well put, Sadie!
    Many think that a willingness to listen shows weakness. Many think that acceptance means agreement. Nothing could be further from the truth!!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy