An Unlikely Soccer Post

 I think it is time to argue about something inconsequential: Euro Cup Semifinals.


This is a big leap for me, because usually [like, 99% of the time] I don't care enough about sports to offer any sort of opinion. With that in mind, don't expect any subtleties in my analysis, because I literally do not have the knowledge base to go to that kind of depth. TBH, consider this analysis more of a vent. I'm venting.

England should not have won the match against Denmark. Sure, going into the game, they were the favored team, but I don't think that showed throughout the ~120 minutes of play. For the first half, Denmark had more shots on goal [and other stats, but I don't remember them exactly, and as I'm a novice in searching for game stats minute-by-minute, I can't find them to quote here]. Damsgaard's free kick was not only the first goal of the game, 30 minutes in, but also extremely good. Sure, England's goal in response was good, but the winning goal that England put in during overtime should be withdrawn because it was a 'penalty kick' on the stupidest, inconsequential 'foul' that even NBC Sports called "questionable (at best)"[and The Guardian said that from a self-initiated email-poll, the penalty against Sterling was a dupe, and "It’s sad if brushing a leg is justification for a penalty these days."]. And in the end, the Danes had to play a man short after a player injury, because they had already used up their allotted 3 subs.

And then there are the fans. Shame on them. Firstly, English fans booed during the Danish national anthem at the beginning of the match. Then, as the Danish keeper Schmeichel [who, BTW, was the "man of the match"--again quoting NBC Sports] was preparing for the incoming winning kick, some idiot shone a laser at his head.

So, yeah, I feel that the refs' calls favored England, that English fans are brutes, and that the English win was undeserved. The Danish in me is outraged.

This isn't just preference from familial relationships, either. Yes, I have some Danish heritage, but I also have [a lot of] English heritage. But when 'relatives' are acting like total gits, it's time to deny your connection.

Relatives? What relatives?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy