Hole in Many

 It's amazing how golf, as a concept, can be applied to other sport objects. Miniature golf wasn't much of a stretch, but frisbee golf and soccer golf certainly are creative takes on the game.

[left to right] Julie, Dave, Ericka, Russell, Mark

When Mark and I visited family in Utah right after our Idaho family visit, one of the first things we did--both with his brother's family and with my parents--was a golf alternative.

As I've mentioned before, I am not very athletically coordinated. Before every kick in the soccer golf course, I had a brief moment of panic as I tried to figure out what foot to use (they're about the same in strength and accuracy [aka terrible], so it doesn't particularly matter). One of the holes required crossing a little stream, and of course my ball went right for the water. After I rescued my ball and prepared for a second kick right at the edge of where I had gone in, I heard my sister-in-law tell one of my nephews that he needed to kick from the spot he had done previously, before his ball hit the water. Willing to play by whatever rules they were using [it's not like I've ever played soccer golf, or even know the rules of regular golf], I asked if I needed to return to my previous kick spot. Nope; I'm not sure if their statement that it didn't apply to me was a reflection on my adulthood or on my skill level. I'm mostly resigned to the opinion that it's the latter.

Fortunately, my inconsistent throws in frisbee golf didn't stand out too much, because it was the first time my parents had played, and most of the time we didn't know where the basket was anyway. We actually skipped holes 7 and 8 completely, created a stand-in 'basket' for hole 6, and made up our own approach to hole 9, because 1) we had such a hard time locating basket 6 [truly, the course map was terrible; we hiked uphill for a better vantage point and stumbled across it], and 2) we didn't want to lose our discs into the brambly-branch gully that was near those holes. 

My mom and I pretending we threw our discs in hole 6

Note all of the qualifications in the bottom-right of the map


I did actually get a hole in one in soccer golf, btw. But it was definitely the exception.

Me, in the brambles, recovering my frisbee

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy