Psych Unit: Not TLC so much as Tough Love

 I once had a calling [this is a technical term for "a volun-told position in a church congregation] when I was in college to attend the religious activities at a local jail. From what I recall, that calling existed to help with church attendance there--which frankly seems a little odd. Maybe there were other reasons that I wasn't privy to, but regardless, every so often, I went to jail.

I don't remember many details about the place, but looking back, I can tell you it had more going for it aesthetically than the Behavioral Health Unit where I work now.

Allow me to paint a picture of what the BH unit is like:

Other than some coloring pages taped to the walls, there is no artwork or wall decor.

The walls and doors are painted a yellow-ish beige, but I don't mean yellow-like-the-sun, but rather yellow-like-the-discoloration-with-age.

There is no access to the outside. And I don't mean that the doors off the unit are locked [which they are, BTW, in addition to being heavy-duty prison-style and with just a foot-square window], I mean there's no place for "fresh air" or a smoke-break or a walk outside.

The chairs, in addition to not being cushioned, are purposefully heavy to prevent patients throwing them.

The beds are basically mattresses on top of a wooden box--you cannot hide under them, or tie anything to them, or easily flip them.

There are absolutely no hand sanitizing stations, because patients could drink the stuff for its alcohol content [and yes, I have seen that happen].

The windows are some sort of reinforced plastic to prevent them being an exit point.

The televisions [just 2 per unit, with each unit having a capacity of about 12-24 patients, depending on whether the room is made single or double occupancy] are behind reinforced plastic to prevent damage.

The patients are not allowed to have their cell phones [which is just as well, because I do not think there is a single power outlet that they have access to] or any clothing items with strings [meaning no drawstring pants, no drawstring hoodies, no laces on shoes, etc.].

The trash cans have paper-bag liners, because plastic trash bags are a suicide-hazard.

There are very few things that are not locked up--a couple board games, some coloring paper, and the bathrooms are all unlocked.

It's a bare-bones type of aesthetic. None of it is meant as punishment...and yet I sincerely hope that every patient has somewhere more nurturing than what we provide.

Of course, when I think about it, if a hospital is the most nurturing place in your life, it probably means you've never been outside of the hospital. Or that society sucks. 

Comments

  1. You have a talent for visual descriptions!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy