I Think We're Measuring The Wrong Things

 As we near the end of the school year [not that I'm in school, or have kids in school, but I am aware that such things happen], I'm reminded of my elementary school days in Texas. Unique moments:

We said the Texas Pledge of Allegiance every morning after saying the National Pledge of Allegiance.

We had open-floor-concept classrooms--different rooms were separated just by bookshelves, pillars, or maybe just by space.

And we took an annual competency assessment that went by various acronyms as time went by: TAKS, TAAS, STAAR, also [before my time] TABS, TEAMS (learn all about it in this little booklet!). 


I don't remember much of what was on those exams, except for one--a story about a violinist. As I understood it at the time, the short snippet focused on a particular female violinist, who apparently was very good and was 1st Chair Violin in her orchestra, but during one performance, her violin broke. And then she broke a lot of the other violinists' violins as she commandeered them one by one. And at the end of the performance, the conductor bowed down to her and cried.

It has been almost a quarter of a century, and I still remember my confusion: why is she described as a good violinist if she keeps breaking violins and making her boss cry?

Eventually--as in, in the last decade--I came to the conclusion that her part must have been necessary to the success of the piece, and so she sacrificed several violins to keep the show going. So as I think back to that moment in 5th grade, my main takeaway is that whatever questions that followed to check for understanding of the passage clearly did not accurately assess one's comprehension, because I managed to pass the test without any idea what was going on.

Also, if anyone knows who that account was about, please let me know, because it is one of the great unsolved mysteries of my childhood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy