stage fright

Inconveniently, I discovered that i not only have stage fright, I also have writer's block about stage fright. So disappointing. Usually I am way more coherent writing than speaking.
Ahem. The story:
About 2-3 years ago my roommate's boyfriend kept leaving his guitar at our apartment. At first I just dusted it, but then I started fiddling (but since it's a guitar, I suppose I started guitaring) and eventually, through the help of the internet and said roommate's boyfriend, learned how to read guitar chords and how to build up calluses on the tips of my fingers. By the time they broke up, I was already hooked enough to sign up for a guitar class (which I attended about half the time) and to get my own guitar. I had no intention of ever joining a band, playing on the curb, or ever playing outside of my home.
It was, therefore, a very big shock to me to find myself volunteering to audition for my work's talent show. You can tell it's serious when there are auditions...and when the actual talent show will be filmed and broadcast throughout the institution, while the physical audience still numbers in the thousands (k, maybe a slight exaggeration. I've never been to one, but my source is pretty good, considering he won the talent show a couple years ago).
I'm trying not to think about all of this. I'm trying not to think about how crazy I am for thinking I could perform a solo of guitar and voice in front of people when sometimes I can't even handle speaking without blushing. I have a conscious desire to wish that the judges don't think I can make it to the talent show. It's looking like I have an unconscious one, too, because I woke up with a sore throat and an inexplicably sprained pinky, which I happen to need to form the chords. who'd have thought I'd turn out to be a hypochondriac

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy