paparazzi

This is not the post that I should be blogging on first, in matter of importance, but we'll just have to dive backward into my mind. Start at the end. It's a very good place to start...

Yesterday at work, my boss (not the immediate boss, but the one above) came up to me and told me that I would get photographed in my role as a nurse. He told me the internal photographer recommended soft makeup. We both didn't know what that meant.

This moment goes back to about a month ago when a great-uncle boss (meaning not my immediate boss, but pretty important) told me he had decided to have the inside newsletter people interview me on my role as a pain resource nurse. I think this happened because I go to the monthly pain resource meetings. Take note, ye work shirkers.

So today, I got in a minute late to work because I was busy applying my interpretation of soft makeup (natural colors, no fake eyelashes, and no red lipstick). That, and I was late from an inability to walk too quickly, since my legs and lower back were REALLY sore from weight lifting two days prior. I actually found a spare abdominal binder and alternated strapping hot packs and cold compresses to my lumbar region.
I had meant to take off the abdominal binder before the shoot, but got preoccupied in blood administration. As I'm priming the tubing, my entourage arrives. One photographer, two women--who I really don't know what role they were playing. Scene suggestion might be a good title.
They three decided that priming blood was a pretty nitty-gritty shot, so they got started taking photos. I was so flustered; where do I look? What if I make a mistake and it's caught ON FILM? Does my outfit look alright?
They followed me into my patient's room (after asking permission from the patient). They captured my interactions (some of them staged) with other nurses, with the pain service team, and with an epidural pump. They seemed to love it when I documented on the blood component record with the wall as my writing surface.
work it, girl.

Finally, they left, and some of my co-workers commented on how interesting that was, and how flattering my makeup was. One even asked if I had lost weight. I remembered the abdominal binder underneath my scrub top; it was probably acting like a corset.
I had to run off to a pain meeting after that, and as I leaned back in my seat, I felt something wet. My ice pack. melted. on my scrubs. Hopefully that happened AFTER the photo shoot...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy