Informed AND Intelligent

I don't watch television. Nor do I read newspapers. Nor do I follow any news feeds. And, while I'm confessing, let me add that I also usually do not use the internet for news purposes, and I don't usually talk to people about the news either.

Which makes this post epic, because I am going to discuss a bit of news I heard on the radio.

[Okay, I should probably disclaim my disclaimer. I am not in radio silence as far as news goes. I pick up a lot from social media, from news shows that play while I'm at the gym or at work, and from NPR, which I listen to sporadically. Really, the point I was trying to make is that you shouldn't expect a reader's digest of current events from me, at least on a regular basis.]

The topic of NPR for the hour (Houston Matters) was video games. Admittedly I didn't hear the whole show, but I heard the take-home message, and I decided that the presenter needed to hear another point of view.
Apparently, a recent study showed a correlation between depression and playing violent video games for more than 2 hours. Dr Tortolero, who was discussing the findings, ended by saying that parents should not take away violent video games from their kids because the violent video games are how kids relate to each other; it is part of their culture, and restricting them too much could be detrimental to their social life.

Wait, what?

Let me get this straight. Limiting video game time could hurt social interactions? As in spending time in real-life interactions hurts social interactions?
Violent video games are how kids relate to each other? Specifically violent video games? Are they not capable of relating to each other on any other topic? Even, say, nonviolent games?

Heaven help us.

She did say one thing that I approved: parents should pay attention to their children. She said it in the context of parents monitoring for signs of depression, but I want to say it flat out: PARENTS SHOULD PAY ATTENTION TO THEIR CHILDREN. ON ALL LEVELS. AND INTERACT WITH THEM

I can see why we have problems. Kids are learning how to interact not from their parents, but from violent video games.
And researchers are saying this is normal, that it's part of "the culture."

Alright, I'll roll with that for a bit, explore it out.
Drinking is part of the average adult culture.
I don't drink.
Am I unable to relate to my peers? Well, not on drinking, but it's not like I become instantly confused whenever anyone mentions alcohol.
There's a lot more to life than alcohol, and I can relate on those matters. Heck, if nothing else, I can still relate to a fellow human who has dreams, adventures, and mistakes.
Perhaps Dr Tortolero would say we can't expect children to realize that other children have hopes and dreams and all that just like them. Maybe so. But I think we can expect them to relate to each other on more than just violent video games.

So, the new and improved take-home message is: Playing violent video games for 2 hours a day is not a good idea. Consider limiting screen time, and then encourage some positive social interaction. Laser tag or paint-balling might be well-received.
And if the current culture is endangering mental health, change it.

Comments

  1. Sometimes I think NPR is deliberately provoking to make people mad...I agree with your thoughts though :p

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy