The Secret of Happiness is in the Little things

Last Christmas (which, as you may recall, was less than a month ago), I found myself at home without family and with limited friends around (reason being, Christmas is a family holiday, so my friends were with their families). So I was in my apartment doing I have no idea what (we'll say I was fixing the ceiling fan light in my room. that happened at some point) when a neighbor rang the doorbell to tell me I had a package at the front door. It was wrapped in a plastic bag, and although it came with a card, the signature was "Secret Shepherd". Inside was a colorful fleece blanket. It literally brought color and warmth to my Christmas holiday.
Today brought a different mystery gift. Not actually as exciting, but I found it just as meaningful. My hospital shift had ended, and it had been one with death, emotional tension, heartache, fatigue, and frustration. No matter how my shift was, I always end it with two things: handwashing and wiping my phone off with alcohol. This is not metaphorical (although it could be. We could throw in a Pontius Pilate reference,); it's just good sense. I use my phone as a calculator and search engine when I work, so the bacteria that are in the hospital are likely transferred to my phone's exterior. So, back to story: I washed my hands, and checked my pocket for an alcohol swab to wipe my phone down. I didn't have any, and I knew I had just run out at home. I thought of a plan B, which is to get a paper towel and alcohol hand sanitizer, but just then, on my walk down some rarely-used hallway, I found a single alcohol swab, unopened. I felt like it was there just for me to find it, like it was telling me that my wishes matter.
Both of these things, the blanket and the alcohol swab, are small. I don't know who gave them, either accidentally or purposefully, but I know who orchestrated the giving. I know what secret message came with those secret gifts: "Keep your chin up. All things will end well."
And I know it seems ridiculous to find messages in alcohol swabs and blankets. I won't argue that point. But I'd rather be happy in finding a message than disdainful of an opportunity for happiness.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy