ovary-acting

There's a mantra that the medical field goes by when assessing for pain in a patient. "Their pain is whatever they say it is." We have to go by what the patient says because there is no accurate way to measure pain; sure the heart rate and blood pressure could go up, but what if your body experiences pain for a long time and learns to adjust those measurable measures? There is just no sort of pain thermometer (pain-o-meter, or dolor-meter, if you will) that we can stick anywhere in the body that will give us that information. And because in our culture we are fairly well-trained in hiding weaknesses, it is possible to have very high pain and look mostly normal. Just depends on the tolerance level of the person.
So if we have no data to use, the closest thing to accuracy is what the patient says. Just go with it. If they say their pain is 10/10, and are chatting with their family, you still better be getting that narcotic. [actually, the only time we can override what the patient says is if we can tell that giving a narcotic will make their physical condition worse; e.g., they would stop breathing or become sedated or something of that nature].
I am not telling you this for medical field purposes. I am telling you this for a comparison on everyday interactions, on believing what other people tell you about how they feel.
I got on this topic because a friend told me about this article that proposed that men don't trust women's emotional reactions to things. She told me that most men think women are over-reacting. Except I heard 'ovary-acting'. But really, to men, what's the difference? These women with hormonal swings, don't their reactions come from something happening in the ovaries? A little too much estrogen, maybe? Too little testosterone?
Well guess what, kiddos? We have no legitimate meter for emotions. Certainly not one that could measure an emotion in the moment you want to know. So, go with what the girl says she is feeling.
I'm not going to say that the feeling makes sense. From first-hand experience of being a girl, I can tell you that feelings and reactions are usually confusingly mismatched. I'm more likely to cry if someone is nice than if someone is mean. I am nicer to someone if I don't like them. And I will bawl at a wedding because I am so happy, no wait, sad, no, I don't know, but something is happening!
I'm not saying anyone has to understand the process of action-analyze-reaction. What I'm saying is if a girl is saying deed A makes her really upset, that feeling is real enough to her, even taking into account that she's got raging hormones or whatever. If she feels it, she feels it. Done. All you have to do is figure out how to react to her reaction.
Good luck with that one.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy