Downward Dog

I distinctly remember in high school brushing yoga off as not real work. Probably because at the time I was on the cross country team, and so I equated movement with effort.

It's so refreshing to have one's beliefs challenged.

But I still have one lingering question about yoga moves.

WHY are so many moves named after a dog (downward dog, upward dog, flip your dog, etc.) when cats are clearly more flexible? Why isn't there more representation for cats?

This is particularly mind-boggling to me because I have a dog AND a cat, and although my dog does some pretty good full-body stretching, my cat is far better at bending and twisting her spine.


just look at how easily her back leg touches her face!
copy cat
In my 3 or 4 years of practicing yoga, I have only heard of ONE cat pose: that of the alternating cat and cow routine of arching and then sinking the torso while on all fours.

It's possible that dogs are better at following commands (and thus following yoga moves) than cats are, but in my experience, that's only a theoretical difference.

I think felines need an advocate.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy