The Little Things Matter

My sister Rachel and I have different perspectives--like basically all the time. We had a hard time with that growing up, but the more I learn the more I realize I don't know anything [someday I hope to reach the realization that I know nothing. haha jk].
So I need to concede that she is right--that daily duties mean more than epic quests.
That realization came while working with a patient whose wife was suspicious of the medical team's every action. I had been (somewhat) warned of this, and thankfully when I saw her I introduced myself as her husband's nurse (Big Win for a Small Act!). But when a lack of medical literacy led to a misunderstanding, I was unable to stand down to her anger. I didn't shout (I'm not a shouter), I didn't use a negative tone of voice; but I did question her logic and, ultimately, not acknowledge her feelings.
   Side story: I am a fighter. Usually not literally. But if some threat confronts me, I will face it head-on and work to tear it down. This is a very good habit to have for Epic Threats, like escaping a building or saving a life or even getting things off of my to-do list. Unfortunately, it does not serve me well if I need to defuse a situation or work through hangry-ness or do any other thousand things that come up on a daily basis.
So back to the hospital: I may be doing the things to keep that patient healthy (and remember, saving a life is a Big thing), but I could not come through for his wife on the little, minor details that are actually really important, like courtesy or active listening.
It's a common problem for me. I can step up and help out overtime at the hospital during Hurricane Harvey, or volunteer to help muck out houses from Harvey's destruction (both of which I did), but if there's a call for extra staff on any old day, I am not the one to volunteer. I specialize in epic calls, not the everyday ones.

It is appropriate, then, to hear the following counsel given in LDS General Conference this month:
Sometimes it's easy to miss some of the greatest opportunities to serve others because we are distracted or because we are looking for ambitious ways to change the world and we don't see that some of the most significant needs we can meet are within our own families, among our friends, in our [congregations], and in our communities.
Consequently, I hope to become a great Everyday nurse, a great Everyday wife, and a great Everyday friend.
And then I will feel like an Epic person.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy