Onions

I am giving myself a writing prompt. The topic: onions.

Turns out I have a lot to say about onions.
For one, I get a pretty fierce physiological reaction from slicing onions. It definitely makes me cry. A lot. For a long time (mostly under an hour, but still, that's too long). I tried assigning chopping onions to Mark, but I would still cry because whatever chemical they release was still in the air in our kitchen. So now I buy frozen chopped onions. More expensive than a whole onion, for sure, but a great time- and pain-saver. At some point, I should do a cost-benefit analysis on continuing to buy frozen onions or investing in onion goggles so that I can do the chopping myself...or assign it to Mark. One of those. [you should check out the link. they're totally cool]

For two, I really like onions in things. Which is why number one is so hard to work with. Onions are SO delicious cooked. And maybe sometimes raw, in hamburgers, if they're sliced really thin. I can't think of something savory that I wouldn't want onions in. Lucky for me, they have lots of antioxidants (which are kind-of like anti-carcinogenics) and phytochemicals and antimicrobial factors and may even promote prostate health (that would be a benefit for Mark, not me). Some of that info came from reputable sources such as the University of Maryland or the BBC, but I also looked at facts from the National Onion Association. Firstly, before today, I didn't even know we had an onion association. Secondly, they're most likely biased.

For three, this week I had a very interesting dream that involved onions. My brain had created for me a wonderful, inspirational movie trailer. It started by looking into the lives of a father and son who went to some cafeteria or buffet or whatever, and the son couldn't eat a lot of what was offered. So the father got involved in creating a restaurant/food-provider company that offered fresh, healthy, homemade meals to places around the city. Then they expanded to the country. Then, the whole world!! Cue inspirational music and snippets of quotes from said movie, then the announcer guy reading the movie title: "Follow the Onions."
I have no idea what follow the onions means to my subconscious brain.
But I CAN follow The Onion, which as far as I know is the first major supplier of fake news.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hi, Sadie. This is René from the National Onion Association. We hear you! Onions are so good in foods, but they can be harsh on the eyes. Here's a trick you may want to try: refrigerate your onion for half hour before you slice; then make sure you use a very sharp knife. Here is a great video to help out. https://www.onions-usa.org/faqs/why-do-your-eyes-water-when-you-cut-onions

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy