That Old-Time Music

One of the first things I noticed about the Baltic states is that there seemed to be a disproportionately-high representation of accordions among street musicians. Just walking around the city made it likely that I'd trip on a couple accordion players [not literally tripping, but close...]. If we went out in the country to look at some out-of-the-way historic sites, there would be another accordion to serenade us. Every Single Day in the Baltics I'd run into accordions.
an old accordion in a museum
Another common instrument: organs. Come to think of it, the mechanism for playing an organ versus an accordion is fairly similar: air-powered, keyboard-played, random buttons. [okay, I'm not actually that educated on organs or accordions.]
fancy-shmancy, right?



Despite being impressed at the ability to play such instruments, I never gave them money. I prefer to support musicians that are hands-down absolutely positively talented. Like the guy in Tallinn playing [an unknown instrument] in an alley who was so good that I decided from a street-or-two over that he deserved my money.
Before I even saw him.
Yes, it was amazing.

I also gave coins to a violinist in Stockholm, because he was performing a really difficult piece quite beautifully, and few things are prettier than a violin played well. [note: I don't play the violin, so I'm going on observation.]

Basically, I can be a music snob, but despite my pickiness, I rather liked having unique instruments providing a soundtrack to our Europe trip.
Because everything is cooler with a soundtrack.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy