man v nature. and nature is winning

I was talking to somebody the other day about living in Texas, and she mentioned that the things that freaked her out the most in mvoing here were the bugs: huge flying cockroaches, mosquitoes, snakes (yes, I know that's not a bug, but then, 'bug' isn't exactly a scientific classification), wasps, bees, hornets, etc. I realized that she has a point. Take a gander:

This lovely thing was in our tree. I have never seen a hive so big in a residential setting, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised: it's Texas. :)
Lizard-like things have a real talent for coming indoors out of the heat. Earlier this summer I caught an anole so I could stick it back outside, but it didn't like that plan, and bit me. Double reason to kick it out. The gecko (i think it's a gecko, anyway) above got in last week, and when I tried to catch him, I crushed his tail with a cup. On accident. I felt really bad. Especially because it was a baby, and because it died.
This thing bears a strong resemblance to Eric Carle's very hungry caterpillar. Seriously, very big. and green. and hairy. but very mild-mannered--it just walked back and forth on a stick until we were done examining it.

I can handle most of these creepy crawlies, but still, Texas is a tough place to live in for someone so disgusted by cockroaches. Why did nature have to produce something so nearly indestructible in such large proportions?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy