how to make a gestural effort of St. Patrick's Day celebration

Sad to say, I don't even know what Patrick is the saint of.

By going back several generations on my Dad's side, I can claim that I'm Irish. However, he never knew any particular traditions, and for a good portion of his life he didn't even know he was Irish, so when the blessed, jolly day of Saint Patrick comes around, I feel like an average American. Let me amend that: an average Mormon American. But I made a few gestures of celebration, in my own particular way.

    aww, look at the little Irish girl
    • dying melted cheese green and pouring it over cooked cauliflower
    • wearing green (mainly because it's socially enforced)
    • eating potatoes, cooked cabbage, and corned beef
    • eating pistachio pudding (hey, it's green)
    • reading the Aubrey/Maturin novels by O'Brian (Maturin is Irish)
    • Listening to The High Kings
    • Watching How to Train Your Dragon (my justification here is that Vikings were an important facet of medieval Irish history)
    Riveting, I know.



    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Dogsledding: Guest Post

    RATS! A Guest Column

    Thoughts on Pregnancy