you can't beat a dead horse

This past weekend, right smack in the middle of 2 2-day back-to-back work days, I went to an ACLS class. For those balderdash fans out there, ACLS does NOT stand for Association of Claustrophobics Living Solely, the American Counsel against Love Scenes, or anything else my brothers could come up with. It is the Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification class. Which meant that I was trying to prevent my mannequin from dying on me.






I have quite a history with mannequins. Okay, about 5 years. My nursing school instructors would give us a scenario and ask us to speak to the mannequins, which is actually initially really weird. After a year in nursing school, I could go up to a mannequin and talk pretty freely (they have the gift of silence). "Hey, Fred, how are you doing. The chart here says you hurt. Could you show me? Oh, are you paralyzed? Do you have something in your throat?" Etc.
One of my favorite experiences was when our lady mannequin gave birth to our baby mannequin. It was a very strange, yet reverent simulation of life. I have to admit that I almost cried.


So, back to that ACLS class. Initially, our mannequins were breathing, talking, and had a pulse. (no, really. high-tech simulation here). Then their hearts stopped beating and we had to start chest compressions, artificial respirations, defibrillation, and medications. As it was a simulation, no actual meds or shocks were given, but we were doing real compressions and real breaths. After about a total of 8 hours over 2 days of giving compressions , my hands are really sore.
The good news is that I saved my mannequin. 


Yeah, it's a contradiction in terms. Giving CPR to a mannequin is as futile as beating a dead horse, which is pretty much exactly what we were doing. Minus the 'horse' and the 'dead' part.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy