Buildings in India, Goa

My last post for this particular Indian theme! Hurray!

One of the first things I learned in my capacity as a tourist in Goa was that it has a completely different cultural history than the rest of India. That's because Goa was a province of Portugal for nearly five centuries. Hence, Catholic churches.

Church of St Francis of Assisi




Basilica of Bom Jesus


Saint Francis Xavier

Kept within the Basilica of Bom Jesus is the tomb of a saint I've never heard of. The inside story on the relics of Saint Francis Xavier is that during one of the public displays of his body, an older woman bit off his thumb to start her own reliquary. So now there is a protective something-or-other to preserve the rest of him.
I also went to the archaeological museum in Goa, next to the Church of St Francis. I learned about stuff, I'm sure. There were lots of paintings of governors, some with crazy hair-dos. There were some moderately-preserved carvings from pre-Portugal days of Hindu gods. Hopefully the rest seeped into my subconscious and will come out in my dreams.

Comments

  1. Goa attracts many people from different parts of the country as well as across the globe.
    Goa Carnival 2014

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy