How do I travel? Let me count the ways...

I'm trying to figure out how to organize my presentation on the Great Britain trip. The sticking point is London. There is just so much in that city. So much to see and do, with so many overlapping points, that I don't know where to put the dividing sword of Separate Topics. I want to divide it into Museums, Food, and Entertainment, but the Museums are too many, the Food too few (by which I mean that it turns out that English food is quite bland, and so my friends and I opted for Indian and Chinese whenever possible. So, apparently, do the British.), and the Entertainment all-encompassing.

So I shall do a cop-out. I shall talk about how I arrived at the various places of interest in London.

Firstly, and most obviously, the plane. Melissa and I flew a red-eye in the hopes that we could sleep on the plane and arrive in London bushy-tailed. That's not exactly what happened. We were too enthusiastic. We enthused over the comfort of the seats, the quality of the headphones, the amount of leg room, the little packs of ear plugs/toothbrush/toothpaste, the selection of food, the variety of movies,
etc.
After reviewing the airline's magazine which offered commentary on movie selections, we chose to watch Bright Star, telling the love story of the English poet John Keats. Not only was it informative, but also enjoyable. It didn't exactly settle us down for sleep, though.
Thank goodness for adrenaline.

Next mode of transportation: the Tube. Also known as the London Underground. Decidedly not known as a subway.
It's a fascinating map to look at. The layout isn't actually the layout of the city. I have no idea how that works. So we'd look at a London map, find the closest Underground station, locate that station on the Tube map, and identify the line(s) needed to get there. After two days, we felt like professionals.
This is Melissa, looking professional
Then there is the other icon of London transport: the double-decker. We only rode it once, on our last day in London, but it still felt wonderful.
Esther and me

Also, note that it is really hard to get a picture on a double-decker that makes it look like you are on a double decker. So, let me provide a view from the outside.
Melissa, Marinya, and me. And Big Ben
Next, we have the staple of tour transportation: the coach. Which is like a bus, except it's called a coach.

Last, we have the most vital, most used mode of travel: walking. 
Or running. 
I think one day we walked 6 miles. That wasn't walking for exercise; that was just walking to get somewhere. Fortunately, the weather was nice, it never rained, and points of interest are usually quite close (at least compared to points of interest in Houston).



5. The answer is five.

Comments

  1. I feel like I am missing some big news. When were you in London?! Has it really been that long since we talked?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy