PB & Justice

I am so excited to write this post. Mostly because it means I have internet. But the post should be good, too...







Last night, spur of the moment, I became a factory worker. Assembly line.




My job was to put empty jars onto a conveyor belt, where they would be filled with peanut butter and sealed and sent to food banks and Bishops' Warehouses and people's pantries. I was NOT to let an empty space appear on the conveyor belt, or else peanut butter would be squirted onto the floor instead of in a jar. I was also not to jostle the jars. Or let my hair show. Or, incidentally, wear earrings...







As a volunteer, I had watched a safety video before being released onto the production floor, which told me to remove jewelry unless it could not be removed. [At this point in the video, it showed a hand with a CTR choose the right ring that apparently was not removable, so it was covered with a glove]. Our foreman then asked if we had any questions. I eyed his bifocals, and asked if glasses counted. Some of my fellow volunteers heard me and snorted, but the man in question apparently remained oblivious.







Sometimes, especially when I have a headache, I do not have a filter.





So, with a hair net covering my ears, and a smock covering my front, and gloves covering my hands, I was sending those jars on their merry way. Until a worker noticed that my earrings were showing.







He approached me and told me that I had to take them out, mentioning bacteria and potential dislodgement and stuff like that. I'm going to write out the argument in what SHOULD have been said.







"You must take out your earrings."



"But why? They are secured to my ears and can be covered with a hair net, unlike your glasses."



"Ma'am, if my glasses fell, they would not land in the jar of peanut butter. They do not fit. Earrings do. As do hearing aids. I once had a sister in Salt Lake City report finding a hearing aid in her jar.........etc"



"Oh"







Happy ending. No one discovers little turtle earring studs when all they are looking for is a PB&J sandwich.







I got reassigned to screwing on lids. Most likely unrelated to my earring debacle, since pushing jars was not likely to keep my attention (and thus, my safety) for 4 hours. Nor was this task. I practiced screwing on lids left-handed. One-handed. Ran out of options, and moved on to packing boxes. And then loading boxes.



And I decided that I am very glad I do not work in assembly line.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogsledding: Guest Post

RATS! A Guest Column

Thoughts on Pregnancy